First off: We should never ever leave a man behind it’s in the Soldier’s Creed:
- I am an American Soldier.
- I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.
- On that note he was held as a Prisoner Of War (POW) and it would be a dereliction of duty for anyone to leave a man or women detained with out doing anything for trying to get him or her returned to the United States of America.
- Second: The matter of how he was captured if he left the guard position on his on or was captured should be properly investigated and reviewed that is true, but shouldn’t be up for review of our first responsibility of returning a POW to be freed and returned to the United States.
- Third: The issue of the exchange of 5 Guantanamo Bay Taliban Leaders. From what I understand they’ll be held and not allowed to leave Qatar for at least one year after. This was a arranged plan and negotiation before this deal was reached the President Obama Administration had brought it to Congress as he should be, no arguments were made at that time not till after the fact to make it nonpolitical tool against the administration which I find that a shame. It’s not a political issue it’s about returning a American Soldier back.
- Fourth: I do believe that his condition of his capture should and will be investigated and people shouldn’t be so quick to judge him by Politicians or by the media. The media is so quick to judge and to report they have not learned the lessons of the claims with out properly investigating claims what a short memory most of us have. Remember the Olympic Park Bombing in Atlanta when the media started staking claim that the Security Guard who reported the bomb actually placed the bomb? See Link for refresher The media or politicians should not speak ill about someone with out knowing all the facts a proper investigation and fair justice should be handled under the proper authority of the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) If he is found guilty of desertion he should face and do the time in Military Prison for the crimes if he is found to have committed. I think it is wrong for us in a whole to find him guilty of accusations that may or not be factual with out properly being investigated. I am hearing various of factors from his Platoon Leader was relieved of his duties just the month prior was his unit in issues before this event to begin with story is still coming out,
- I know many people fellow veterans may have different views or different thoughts on this matter. Put yourself in any POW’s mind set wouldn’t you want your country to do anything reasonable for your safe return home?